Dr Manmohan Singh is perhaps one of the greatest intellects the country has been blessed with. Known through popular lore as one of the most qualified International Statesman, Manmohan Singh is a man par- excellence. Honour Student since childhood he is also famous for revolutionizing the Indian Economy. The Father of Modern Indian Economic movement, he opened the World to India and thrust India firmly into the top economies of the world. Today India is heading towards becoming an economic superpower thanks to this mild but super intellectual Economist. Truly Singh is King.
- MA,Economics,Punjab Univ
- Wrenbury scholarship
- DPhil Oxford Univ
- University Medal for standing first in B A Hons(Economics) in Punjab University.
- Uttar Chand Kapur Medal, Punjab University
- Wright’s Prize for Distinguished Performance by Cambridge UK
- Adam Smith Prize, University of Cambridge, U K.
- Padma Vibhushan Award
- Asiamoney award for Finance Minster of the Year
- Euromoney award for Finance Minister of the Year
- Asiamoney Award, Finance Minister of the Year award.
- elected Distinguished Fellow, London School of Economics, Centre for Asia Economy, Politics and Society.
- elected Honorary Fellow,Nuffield College, University of Oxford .
- Jawaharlal Nehru Birth Centenary Award for the Indian Science Congress Association .
- Justice K S Hegde Foundation award
Career In Economists
- Dr. Singh worked for the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development(UNCTAD) from 1966-1969.
- He later taught at University of Delhi and worked for the Ministry of Foreign Trade with then Cabinet Minister for Foreign Trade Lalit Narayan Mishra and for Finance Ministry of India in the 70’s.
- He was appointed the Governor of Reserve Bank of India in 1982 and held the post till 1985
- From 1985 to 1987 he was the deputy chairman of the Planning Commission of India.
- Dr Manmohan Singh’s greatest contribution came in 1991 when then Prime Minster P V Narasimha Rao appointed him as the Finance Minister of India. He revolutionized Indian Economy through liberalization and removed the License Raj to bring in more Foreign Direct Investment into the country, virtually rocketing India to become the Global Economic Rising Star it is today.
- Dr Singh has also served in the Rajya Sabha being first elected in 1991 and then re-elected in 2001 and 2007.
Dr Singh was the Leader of Opposition during the period Bharatiya Janata Party was in Power between 1998 and 2004.
- Dr Manmohan Singh became the Prime Minister of India in 2004 in what is still regarded as the greatest surprise in Indian Political History, when then UPA Chairwoman, Sonia Gandhi declined to accept the Prime Ministerial position despite urges from fellow party workers.
- Dr Singh was Re-elected as the Prime Minister of India for the 15th Lok Sabha in 2009
- A R Rahman became a truly Global Musician when his music started featuring in popular Hollywood movies as well as in other western music albums. A R Rahman’s music has gained global notoriety with his Bombay theme being used in the famous Nicholas Cage film, Lord of War and also for a French mineral water ad starring Zinadine Zidane. His other works have been used be middle eastern singers and French D J’s as well as for Japanese movies.
- In 2008, brought A R Rahman his greatest achievement with the Golden Globe as well Oscars for Slumdog Millionaire. With this award he has put Indian Music on the Global Platform.
- A R Rahman won over the Hindi Audience with his work on Ram Gopal Varma’s Rangeela, Dil Se, Taal etc
The Power of Education:
When asked about his success Dr Singh has often said “I am what I am because of my education”. Dr Singh was born into a family of modest means but also a family that valued Education more than anything else. Dr Singh walked miles to school and would read under the dim light of a Kerosene lamp. It was this pursuit of education and knowledge that he maintains even today that has made him perhaps the most qualified Statesman of the world. With dozens of Honorary Degrees and an Education at some of the best schools of the world, Dr Singh has always valued the Power of Education.
Manmohan Singh is known for his great attention to detail and his meticulous pursuit of objectives. He follows the minute details of any job and works extremely hard. It has helped in Academics where he has always been a top class student winning many a scholarship and honours. He has also carried this quality to every position he has taken up in his professional career. In every post from teacher to Reserve Bank Governor to Finance Minister even to Prime Minister, it is this meticulous attention to detail that’s helped Manmohan Singh succeed.
Stand on your own feet:
Manmohan Singh is also known to be one of the few people who have become great on their own merit, through hard work and persistence and a constant pursuit of excellence. He has seldom seeked favours and never tries to exploit his position for personal gains. His daughter Prof Upinder Singh once spoke to Rediff and said “You really have to stand on your own feet; whatever you make of yourself should be yours. None of us took any privilege of his official capacity. The office car was not available to drop us to the bus stop; he was very strict about it. Personal and official matters were never merged. My father had his share of difficulties while growing up and none of his children ever developed the taste for a luxurious life. Both, my mother and father always emphasised being responsible for our own needs from childhood. Money, power and position, have never been important to any of us. We all learned to do things ourselves and not rely on help from others.”