Many people are not sure of what career to pursue because of peer and family pressure, overwhelming choices, or uncertainty about choosing the right course. All students and professionals like you should take a career test because it helps determine the best career suited for your interest, knowledge, and skills. It can be taken from a professional organization or on your own through an online resource, such as CareerFitter.
Career test is available in different age groups. It aims to check the strengths and weaknesses of a student in a particular subject or skill. By doing so, you’ll be able to work on the key areas that needs improvement. For a professional, you’ll be able to fill in the gaps in your skills and requirements for the job. So take control of your dreams and career path by taking a career test regularly.
Check out the importance of taking a career tests below:
Strong Foundation for Your Career
Confusion is a normal reaction when it’s time to decide what career should you pursue. Everybody reaches this point of difficulty.
Choosing the right course is a major decision because it reflects the possible positions or job opportunities that you can take once you finished it or received your diploma. Taking a career test helps create and establish a strong foundation for your future career.
- Show the objective results of the subjects (e.g., Mathematics, Chemistry) or areas you excel or those that need improvement (e.g., algebra problem-solving, formula analysis).
- Once you have identified your weak points, you can work on them by hiring a tutor, increase review or study time, or e-learning.
Plots Your Road Map to Success
Taking a career test on a quarterly, bi-annual, or annual basis can help you gauge your potentials and interests so that you can plot your roadmap to success. Here’s how:
- In a notebook, write everything you want to do and achieve those 5 to 10 years from now (e.g., managerial position, six-figure annual salary, specialization).
- Create a table and set the appropriate headings for the columns, such as short-term goals, long-term goals, and course of action.
- In every goal, make sure that you indicate an appropriate course of action which includes the SMART acronym (S-specific, M-measurable, A-attainable, R-realistic, and T-time bounded).
- An example of a short-term goal is, “For the next two months, I will achieve a score of at least 85% in Mathematics on the next career test.”
- An example of a long-term goal is, “In 2025, I will graduate with a degree in Business Management and land an entry-level job with a starting salary of $8,000 a month.”
Makes a Change and Step-up
Are you a professional that is working for several years now, but seems unsatisfied with your career? Then, it’s probably time to make a change.
Take a professional career test and determine if you need to pursue your Masters or Doctorate to step-up the career ladder. Every career test is unique. You can also take one that is aligned with your prospective goal.
It will help you determine the right course of action for every short-term or long-term goal you want to achieve, like the following examples:
- Take a total of 40 hours CPA Continuing Professional Education (CEP) to be able to renew your license in Accountancy.
- Attend trade forums and conferences from top-caliber public speakers relating to e-commerce or digital marketing.
- Fill the gaps you need to win the supervisory position by attending seminars and training or pursuing your Master’s degree.
Open Doors for Better Career Opportunities
Of course, if you know your strong points and weak points, you’ll be able to take concrete steps to improve yourself and obtain the right requirements to win a higher position in your company or your chosen field of industry in general.
With more skills, broader knowledge, and better credentials, you’ll have more opportunities and options to make your career successful. Also, you’ll develop better work ethics to help you deal with challenging work situations and deal with your colleagues and the management professionally.
A career test is a great tool you can use to determine and plan your future. It will challenge you to do your best and make a decision when to pursue an endeavor and when to give-up a hard-to-reach dream. It is an objective way of assessing your knowledge, skills, and even your attitude if you’re suited for the job.