A hook is a sentence that serves to attract readers’ attention from the very beginning of an essay. To write a good catchy sentence, you need to stick to some pieces of advice and look at some examples of the most winning of them.
Spider Services is known all over the world as one of the most reliable writing services.
Hacks and Samples
First, you need to know that not every attention grabber is fitting its real aim. Some methods are old and not creative enough to be put in your paper. Avoid copying some definitions from a dictionary because it is too smooth and boring to be eye-catching enough. Using this strategy, you will make your reader get bored, and he or she will not want to read your work anymore. Never again!
Give an anecdote that will refresh your paperwork instead and bring a deliberate, easy tone to your study.
- “Some women wonder why History isn’t called Herstory?” – It is the most vivid example of a funny story connected with feminism.
However, be careful with it, as not every piece of writing can be written in a humorous tone! For this reason, you can write a historical fact or some interesting statistics.
- “Did you know that the ancient humanity used to worship Goddesses and had a matriarchal society?” – Stating these words, you can put some stress on the question of why people changed their opinion and what wisdom they had in ancient times.
- “About 66% of work is performed by women as well as half of the food production, so why men still consider them/us to be the weaker sex?” – Thus, you will kill two birds with one stone and represent not only a hook but some argumentation to your reader.
A student should avoid rhetorical questions as well as definition statements. Frequent usage of the mentioned method made it too obvious and dull. Replace it with a famous quotation or controversial opinion. Try to use only interesting quotes and outstanding opinions.
- “You educate a man; you educate a man. You educate a woman; you educate a generation. –Brigham Young”
- “In fact, feminism is the fight for equality. But there are still some women who think that it serves for impairment of men’s rights”
As you can see from the two statements above, not every man is against feminism and not every woman understands the phenomenon properly.
- An attention grabber is not the same as a thesis statement.
- Don’t put main ideas on your hook.
- Different types of narration need various catchy sentences.
- Don’t put this kind of statements into the conclusion or body paragraph.
- Don’t think your hook sentence is the main key to success on the way to a good paper because there are other parts to concentrate on them.
- Don’t compose an eye-catching statement without studying a topic and learning all aspects of it.
Stick to these rules and you will attract the attention of each and every curmudgeonly reader. Sometimes it takes a little time to make an appropriate statement, but most students prefer to write a hook after they have finished their works. It will give you more freedom for creativity.