NIFT Entrance Exam is a means through which candidates become eligible for undergraduate and graduate courses in NIFT.You need to qualify NIFT Entrance Exam to be eligible for Bachelor of Design (B.Des), Bachelor of Fashion Technology (B.F.Tech), Master of Design (M.Des), Master of Fashion Management (MFM), and Master of Fashion Technology (M.F.Tech) from NIFT campus. NIFT has 17 campuses which is located in New Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Bangalore, Bhopal, Bhubaneswar, Chennai, Gandhinagar, Hyderabad, Jodhpur, Kangra, Kannur, Patna, Shillong, Raebareli, Srinagar, and Panchkula. The exam is conducted once a year and it is offline. The score of the NIFT Test is accepted by all the 17 Institutes of NIFT.
NIFT Eligibility Criteria
A candidate belonging to the general category should not exceed 23 years of age as on the date of admission as per the specified age limit for the NIFT entrance exam.
For candidates belonging to SC, ST, or Physically Handicapped Person (PHP) there is a relaxation of 5 years on the maximum age limit.
Number of Attempts
There is no limit for appearing for the NIFT examination unless you cross the age of 23 years for an undergraduate course.
Eligibility for application
Eligibility for B.Des
Candidates should have cleared 10+2 from any stream (Science, Commerce, Arts) from any recognized board i.e. ICSE, CBSE, and State board in the equivalent year to be eligible to apply for the B.Des course.
Eligibility for B.F.Tech
Candidates should have cleared 10+2 with PCB– Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics from a recognized board.
Eligibility for M.Des and M.F.M
Candidates should have Bachelor’s Degree from any Institute recognized by the law or an Undergraduate Diploma of minimum of 3 years from NIFT or NID.
Eligibility for M.F.Tech
Candidates must have a bachelor’s in Fashion Technology from NIFT or B.E/ B.Tech from a recognized college in India.
- Citizen of India.
- A subject of Nepal, or a subject of Bhutan, or a Tibetan refugee who came to India before 1st January 1962, to permanently settle in India.
- A person of Indian origin who has migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka, Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire, Ethiopia, or Vietnam intending to permanently settle in India.
- Foreign Nationals (whether residing in India or abroad) and Non-Resident Indians, who are citizens of India holding an Indian passport and have temporarily immigrated to another country for six months or more for work, residence, or any other purpose.
- Admission is done based on GRE, GMAT, and SAT score. The GRE/ GMAT/SAT-I scores should not have been declared before 1st January 2014 and should be received by the Institute latest by 30th April 2016.
- A special NRI test is also conducted.
- 27% of seats are for Other Backward Classes belonging to the Non-Creamy Layer (OBC-NCL).[Candidates belonging to the creamy layer of OBC are NOT entitled to the reservation, they are treated as open Candidature].
- 1.5% of seats are for Scheduled Caste (SC)
- 7.5% of seats are for Scheduled Tribe (ST).
- 15% of seats are reserved for Foreign Nationals.
- 3 % of seats for the PWD category.
- 20% of seats for State Domicile.
CAT exam is conducted for B.Des and M.Des which is of 3 hours. GAT is conducted for B.F.Tech, MFM, M.F.Tech which is also 3 hours long. The interview is conducted for M.Des, MFM, and M.F.Tech. For B.Des CAT has 50 % weightage, GAT has 30% weightage and Situation test has 20 % weightage. For MFM and M.F.Tech GAT has 70% weightage and personal interview has 30% weightage.For M.Des CAT has 40 % weightage, GAT has 30% weightage and Interview has 30% weightage.
- Creativity, Observation Power, Innovation in Development of a Concept.
- Design Ability, Innovative Use of Colours, Illustration Skills.
- Quantitative Ability, Communication Ability, and English Comprehension.
- Analytical Ability and Logical Ability, General Knowledge, and Current Affairs.
For Situation Test
- Conceptualization Skills, Aesthetic appeal, Colour scheme, working methodology.
- Innovative ideas, Overall presentation, Composition of elements, Neatness, Creative use of materials provided.
- First, sign up and log in and fill in your Nationality, Category, Disability, Birthdate, Email, and Mobile Number.
- Fill the online application form.
- Pay the Application fee.
The application fees is-
- Rs 2,000 (for General and OBC candidates) .
- Rs 1,000 (for SC, ST, PwD, and candidates).
Scanned copy of the candidate’s signature and photo only in jpeg.jpg format should be less than 50 kb. Qualifying exam certificates, Caste certificates, and disability certificates should be uploaded in pdf formats.
NIFT Exam Centers
Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, Bhopal, Bhubaneshwar, Chandigarh, Kannur, Kolkata, Lucknow, Madurai, Mumbai, Chennai, Nagpur, Cochin, Coimbatore, Patna, Pune, Dehradun, Raipur, Delhi, Ranchi, Guwahati, Surat, Hyderabad, Udaipur, Jaipur, Vadodara, Jammu, Visakhapatnam, Jodhpur, Shillong, Kangra, Srinagar (J&K).