Clinical research makes a significant difference when investing in the field, it improves countries, people’s health, quality of their life as well as mental and physical health of an individual. It is a form of medical research. It will reduce hospitalization and other healthcare costs. Skilled people are always welcome and in demand in this field.
What is clinical research?
Clinical research is an application-based field where you can go after any life science degree, it can be zoology, botany, microbiology, biotechnology, physiology, etc. It is a form of medical research. It is a field that involves the study and use of human knowledge to further scientific knowledge. It determines the effectiveness and safety of devices, medications, products, and treatment regimens intended for human use.
Despite lots of challenges, we have advantages that make this field so important. Clinical research is done in humans and within the healthcare environment. Vaccines save millions of people every year. Since 1928 there are 19 new types of antibodies have been developed. National Institute of Health-funded research contributes to a 60% reduction in the death rates for heart disease and stroke and a 30% decrease in chronic diseases. Survival rates for patients with cancer have increased in the last 10 years. All these make clinical research an important part of the healthcare industry and present a huge employment opportunity.
Students will learn about pharmacology, epidemiology, principles of drugs and medicines, and how they are used. Also, you will learn about how clinical trials are managed, the practical aspects of it, how the trial is conducted, what are different phases of the trial, what are the phases a clinical trial encounters, and how to resolve them. Course fees differ from 25,000 to 1 lakhs depends on which one you are doing. If you are doing this course from a good private or any government university or college. They will put you in a good internship which will benefit you in the placements. Choose the institute which has strong placement history and prefers a degree instead of a certificate course. If you are determined, you will get a good job.
Types of Clinical Research
The research itself follows a process that involves medical research as a first part, then the development phase and, the last is the approval phase. Also, there are different types of clinical research:
- Treatment research: This generally involves psychotherapy or new approaches to surgery.
- Genetic studies: Aim to improve prediction of illness or disorder.
- Prevention research: In prevention research, students may study vitamins, vaccines, minerals, or lifestyle changes.
- Diagnostic research: Research area involves looking for better ways to identify a particular condition.
- Quality of life research: Improves quality of life for individuals with a chronic illness.
- Epidemiological studies: Seek to control causes of disease in groups of people.
- Screening research: Aim to detect certain health conditions.
Job responsibilities and opportunities
As an intern, you need to keep track of the clinical trial of different drugs. You need to maintain the timeline, gather data and put data, and then analyze it. You need to work with hospitals, a team of doctors, and labs where clinical trials have been conducted and who are running this process team of the researchers. You can become a clinical research coordinator, a research associate, a clinical trial assistant, drug safety specialist, medical writer, study or project manager, or project head or even open your own office. Starting salary is 2 lakhs to 4 lakhs per annum depending upon city, job role, and skills with experience. You can also become a data analyst, scientist, or manager and get a lump sum salary. Hyderabad and Bangalore are top cities preferred by most aspirants in India.
Why it is a good career choice
If you have a passion and you like to work for the medical industry. Then a career in clinical research will allow you to advance scientific discovery. It is an irreplaceable industry and has experienced an 8% growth rate for the past 10 years. Clinical research comes in the top 100 job roles in America. It has growth potential and opportunities you can advance from entry-level to mid-level to senior-level position.
Tips for a successful profession
Knowledge, skills, abilities, attitude, and behavior play an important role to advance in any area. There are some important skills fresher should remember or read out about them before applying for a job.
- As a professional, you should have excellent communication skills, technical skills, personal branding and networking skills, opportunity sorting skills, ability to adapt. Also, a better understanding of the biotech and pharma industry, willingness to work without rewards for a longer time, and salary negotiation skills, cool under pressure, attention to detail, and be customer-focused.
- As a person, try to be curious, flexible, enthusiastic, committed, and adaptable, have integrity, empathy, and humbleness. These skills will help you to cope up better at the time of your job.
:By- Priya Panwar