Deepak

I'm doing my masters in biotechnology... would doing M.Tech fetch me a better job than doing a ph.d.?

Doing up ph.d. would take more time for me to start earning....

by Deepak
2 answers
| Share :

2 answers

RE: I'm doing my masters in biotechnology... would doing M.Tech fetch me a better job than doing a ph.d.?

Swati  Sibal
Swati Sibal
Verified Career Expert
Career Counselor at CareerGuide.com
  • Delhi

Hi Archana,

Sorry for a late reply...Biotechnology is a course more related to R&D, but these days coming up of bio-tech sector and pharma Industry has paved way for jobs in this field apart from lab works. These days Industrial Bio-Tech, MBA in Biotech are also gaining popularity.


Job after Masters should not be difficult but ofcourse yes Ph.d would improve the chances of getting one. Usually P.hd scholars easily find job in teaching while they pursuing their P.hd.

In universities and Colleges like BITS-Pilani, You can enroll for P.Hd draw a good salary...teach as part time faculty and continue your P.hd !

RE: I'm doing my masters in biotechnology... would doing M.Tech fetch me a better job than doing a ph.d.?

Aparna M Venkatesan
Aparna M Venkatesan
Verified Career Expert
PhD Management And Organizational Psychologist
  • Hosur
Hello

This is one common question that most of us will develop- will a masters or a PhD give better career options? If you ask me, honestly, both these degrees will offer better career options. However the success rate/ probability of getting a job sooner is high with the PhD degree.

With a masters degree:
With a masters degree, you almost work only in the industrial sector. A masters degree will offer you 75% chance of working in the industries and 25% chance of working in the academia. Academia means the universities and colleges. Masters students always aim for working in companies or in the industrial sector because their chances of being hired by the industries are always high compared to students with a bachelors degree and students with the PhD degree. I shall explain why.

With a masters a company can employ a person at any department but PhD students are always restericted to working only in the research and development department. For an example, if there are five departments on a project, and if there are 25 working in each department under one project, there will be at least 20 candidates under each department with a masters degree. In the remaining five, its usually the diploma, post graduate diploma and the bachelors degree holders are often seen.

All these group of people are connected to the R&D department where usually the PhD's sit. So technically all the master degree holders will report to the PhD's. However there will be only 10-15 PhD's working in the R&D department.

So now you can understand why masters degree holders are high in numbers in industries. There is another genuine reason why there are less number of PhD's in the industry sector. Almost 60% of the PhD's prefer teaching and resaerch at universities only and for this reason they often choose to stay in the academic sector.

If you would like to work on research projects in industries, a masters degree is more than enough for you.

With a PhD degree:
If you desire to work in the academic sector, like working as a professor, a lecturer or even as a researcher, then doing the PhD is the right choice. With PhD degree you can easily get jobs both in academic sector and industrial sector. The chances are high with both the sectors however PhD's often prefer to stay back in the academic sector itself. Very few prefer to migrate to working in companies R&D scetion.

If you would like teaching and research, PhD is right for you.

Finally both a masters and PhD is equally good with terms of getting job offers. But in particular it highly depends where you want to work - academia or in the industries.

Hope this helps. All the best.

RE: I'm doing my masters in biotechnology... would doing M.Tech fetch me a better job than doing a ph.d.?

This topic is now closed. New replies are no longer allowed.
Latest ANSWERS

I am in 11th std state science and have been attending state tutn classes for a year now. I really want to do jee but we don't have enough money to afford those classes. I am deeply concerned. Pls help

Dear Prasanna, If you have the will, there is a way. Be thorough with NCERT book. Practice cracking MCQs. There are umpteen examples who have succeede .. read more

Professional courses after bsc medical (botany , zoology, chemistry) related to the field

Hello, Thanks for Asking..!! If we talk about professional courses, then there is no plenty of career opportunities for science students. Take a look .. read more

DOING,12TH CONFUSED OVERALL,WHAT TO DO FURTHER

Dear Aspirant, It appears that you have opted for Arts/Humanities stream after 10th and now you are not able to decide what you can do after 12th Arts .. read more

I am a cl 12 scien students.i have leadership qualities and having been managing responsibilities in school.....for my future I would pursue B.tech (mechanical) and then MBa.......( i will surely do MBa)...could u

Dear Aspirant, Having leadership skills without experience does not have value. It is really nice to see that you are thinking about your career and a .. read more
Most Popular

If I start as a Computer Engineer, where should I see myself after five years, given that I keep working in same field?

Hi Swarali, Good question! In 5 years time; if you are working for a large Computer organization; You are likely to end as one of the following; 1. Sp .. read more

Do 12th board marks have any importance in jee mains

Hello, Thanks for Asking...!!   The Union Ministry of Human Resource (HRD Ministry) has decided that Class XII marks will not be a factor for det .. read more

I want to become a Bio Technologist. What is the eligibility criteria for that?

To become a BIO Technologist, Take a science in a high school: You have successfully completion of 10+2 in science After you can opt the graduation co .. read more

What are the off-campus placement opportunities for a Electronics & Communication Engineer student?

being as an engineer there are lot off opportunities , first of all you make a point where you want to build your career 1. software testing 2. softwa .. read more