Career counselling for students after 12th is marked as the end of schooling or junior college and hence it is the beginning of the lifelong hustle. The hustle to choose the right degree, right college and city, academicals or financial challenges and so on . Therefore, guidance from a certified career counsellor can have a positive impact on your career. The article will highlight the 8 key points that reflect Importance of career counselling for students after 12th.
Importance Of Career counselling for students after 12th
- Decision-Making Year
- Selection of a Career
- Helps to Eliminate Confusions
- Helps in Avoiding Peer Pressure or Societal Pressure
- Knowing a Better Version of Yourself
- Opens Up the Gateway of New Opportunities
- Choosing a College or a University
- Five Years Down the Lane
- FAQs about career counselling for students after 12th
- Ideal Career Test
The most crucial year of a student’s life after one has selected their stream in class 10 is class 12th. Career counselling for students after 12th can potentially help in making a career decision after you leave your school. As life takes a complete turn and things don’t remain the same after school, consulting before any move you take is always a safer option .
- Understand your interests and skills :- What do you like to do? What do you excel at? You can begin to focus on narrowing your employment alternatives once you have a solid understanding of your interests and abilities.
- Research different career paths :- There are many different job pathways accessible, so it’s crucial to do your study and familiarise yourself with your alternatives. You can speak to people who work in various industries or study books, articles, and websites about various careers.
- Talk to a career counsellor :- You can explore your interests and skills, look at various career options, and create a future plan with the aid of a professional adviser.
- Don’t be afraid to change your mind :- Changing your mind about your job path is quite acceptable. Don’t be scared to change careers if you discover that your current one isn’t making you happy. You can choose from a wide range of options and are likely to find a profession that suits you.
Selection of a Career
The importance of a career is pretty well known to us and therefore making a decision that can spoil the future is not what an individual want . Most students remain confused on what degree to take up and due to lack of complete knowledge, students usually remain unaware of many trending options around them. A career counsellor counselling for students after 12th can help them to match their interest with an educational degree.
- Your interests and skills :- What do you feel strongly about? What do you excel at? When selecting a career, take your hobbies and abilities into account. For instance, if you enjoy writing, a profession in journalism or public relations would be of interest to you. Consider a profession in engineering or medicine if you excel in maths and science.
- Your values :- What matters to you? What do you hope to accomplish professionally? When selecting a career, think about your values. For instance, if you enjoy helping people, you may want to think about working in social work or education counselling for students after 12th. Consider a profession in finance or law if you place a high emphasis on financial stability.
- The labour force :- What are the employment prospects for the profession that interests you? The field is expanding or contracting. Is there a significant need for labourers in this area? When selecting a career, take the job market into account. Make sure there are employment available in your area if you’re interested in a career in teaching, for instance.
- Your training and education :- What type of training and education are required for the career you are interested in? What kind of time and financial commitment can you make to your education? When selecting a career, take into account your education and training. For instance, you’ll need to complete a four-year undergraduate degree, four years of medical school, and a residency programme if you want to become a doctor.
- Your lifestyle and personality :- Which type of workplace do you prefer? Are you a night owl or a morning person? Do you prefer working on your alone or in a group? When selecting a career, take your personality and way of life into account. If you’re an introvert, for instance, you might not enjoy a profession that involves a lot of public speaking.
Helps to Eliminate Confusions
If anyone is confused about what career path should they opt for, a career counsellor can be the best solution to look for in that case. A career counsellor will examine you by a Psychometric Tests . They will suggest which career option suits the best for you matching your set of skills and interests. They will let you know all the possible career paths that match your personality and the chosen stream in class 12 . Many of us may not be demented but remain in dilemma between two different career options. Career counselling for students after 12th can also alleviate such confusions and suggest you the best for you .
- Helps students explore their interests and talents :- By conducting exams and giving comments, a career counsellor can assist students in exploring their interests and skills. This can assist pupils in determining their areas of strength and areas in which they would like to grow.
- Explains several career alternatives :- A career counsellor can explain various career options, including the educational prerequisites, employment prospects, and salary ranges. Students can use this information to make educated judgements regarding their future employment.
- Develops a career plan with students :- A career counsellor can assist students in developing a career plan by setting goals, locating resources, and developing a timeline. This can assist students in remaining on course and achieving their career goals.
- Supports and encourages :- Students who are choosing careers can benefit from the help and encouragement of a career counsellor. Students who are stressed out or uncertain about their future may find this to be beneficial.
Helps in Avoiding Peer Pressure or Societal Pressure
Peer pressure or the pressure of the larger society is a very prevalent occurrence that most students deal with . You may make career-related decisions under the influence of others that are not the best ones for you. The inappropriate job choice may be chosen by students due to societal pressure, which may come from their family or other relatives . In these circumstances, a career counsellor may assist you in managing all of these pressures and assist in getting you back on the correct track. You can also look into guaranteed service for internships.
- Recognise their values and interests :- Students who work with career counsellors can better understand their interests and values, which will enable them to make more educated career choices.
- Investigate several job paths :- Students can get assistance from career counsellors by exploring several career alternatives and learning more about the expectations and requirements of each career.
- Create a professional strategy :- Students can work with career counsellors to create a career plan that is specific to their needs and objectives.
Knowing a Better Version of Yourself
As every student is set to step into a completely different setup after class 12, knowing oneself becomes a prerequisite . By knowing yourself, it means knowing your area of interests, knowing your strengths and weaknesses. Different psychometric tests are available and are conducted by career counsellors to give a clear picture of one’s psychometrics. By knowing yourself, you will be a step ahead of others at every level in your life .
- Examine your professional options :- You can learn more about your beliefs, skills, and interests by taking a career assessment. You can utilise this information to reduce your options and discover potential job possibilities. Both online and in print, there are numerous different career assessments available.
- Consult a career advisor :- You can explore your alternatives and create a strategy for reaching your career goals with the aid of a career counsellor. They can also offer advice on how to write a CV, conduct interviews, and use other job search techniques.
- Connect with experts in your field :- By establishing connections with others in your field, you can get knowledge about various career options as well as the qualifications needed for success. You can network by going to industry events, joining organisations for professionals, or just contacting people you know who are employed in your desired field.
- Make research :- Once you’ve narrowed down your employment alternatives, it’s critical to do your homework. Learning about the labour market, the educational prerequisites, and the salary range for each profession are all part of this. This knowledge is available in books, online, and by speaking with experts in the topic.
Opens Up the Gateway of New Opportunities
Many of us remain unaware about the coming up career choices in all major streams which are well known to all the professional career counsellors and hence opting for a session of career counselling will never go futile, even for those who believe that they are confident over their stream . Knowing the current opportunities in their stream will not only act as an option but will also give a brief idea about the market movements and worth of their degree.
- Helps students to explore their interests and skills :- Students who receive career coaching can better understand their interests and abilities. The list of prospective career opportunities can be reduced using this information.
- Helps students to align their interests and skills with career paths :- Career advising aids students in matching their talents and interests to potential career choices. This guarantees that the careers pupils select are a good fit for them.
- Helps students to develop a plan for achieving their career goals :- Students who receive career advice can create a strategy to help them reach their career objectives. This strategy may include activities like picking the appropriate classes, acquiring relevant experience, and networking with industry leaders.
Choosing a College or a University
Choosing a college or a university could be challenging. With every day passing by, a new college is established, and with different governing bodies, rankings of various colleges vary remarkably. Therefore, a career counselling for students after 12th can help you out by suggesting the best and most feasible college depending on one’s degree and preference of a city . They could also help you by providing a few tips and tricks for the entrance exams or interview rounds to get into your dream college. Therefore, to avoid any sort of mishappenings, career counselling before confirming your college is suggested.
- Understand your interests and skills :- What do you feel strongly about? What do you excel at? What values do you hold? You can begin to investigate other employment options that fit with your interests, abilities, and values once you have a solid knowledge of who you are.
- Research different colleges and universities :- The location, pricing, programme options, and extracurricular activities are just a few of the numerous variables to take into account while selecting a college or university. Look at colleges to see whether they are a suitable fit for you.
- Talk to your parents, teachers, and other trusted adults :- As you make this crucial choice, they can provide you with insightful counsel and encouragement.
- Take career assessments :- You can find a variety of career assessments that might direct you towards potential job options. These tests could be useful resources for career advising.
- Get involved in internships and volunteer opportunities :- This is a fantastic chance to try several professions and discover more about your interests.
Five Years Down the Lane
Five years down the lane is a crucial fact that should be taken into consideration by everyone. One needs to choose a degree that will have the same worth when seen in the near future counselling for students after 12th. A career counsellor could be very useful to answer all your similar doubts. They can also brief you about the market requirements in future and what all jobs can your degree fetch, once completed. All these factors will therefore determine your career journey and your financial stability . Hence, career counselling could be the safest choice before a career-based decision is made.
FAQs About career counselling for students after 12th
Career counseling is a process of helping individuals explore and identify their interests, skills, and values, and align them with potential career paths. It involves assessing and analyzing one’s strengths and weaknesses, exploring different career options, and developing an action plan for achieving career goals.
Career counseling can benefit anyone who is uncertain about their career path, seeking to make a career transition, or looking for ways to advance their current career. It can also benefit individuals who are experiencing job-related stress or dissatisfaction and seeking guidance on improving their work-life balance.
What are the benefits of career counselling for students after 12th ?
The benefits of career counseling include gaining clarity about one’s interests and strengths, identifying potential career paths, developing a plan for achieving career goals, improving job satisfaction and performance, enhancing employability and job prospects, and gaining a better understanding of work-life balance.
How does career counselling for students after 12th work?
Career counseling typically involves a series of assessments, interviews, and exercises to help individuals identify their interests, skills, and values, and explore different career options. The counselor may also provide guidance on job search strategies, resume writing, and interview skills.
Ideal Career Test
A thorough evaluation tool called the Ideal Career Test was created to help people choose careers that match their interests, aptitudes, values, and personality qualities. This test seeks to help people make educated judgements about their career choices by offering insightful information about the kinds of jobs and work environments that would be a suitable fit for them .
The test begins by evaluating an individual’s interests and passions. It explores their preferences for various activities, hobbies, and subjects counselling for students after 12th. This assessment helps identify areas that genuinely captivate the individual and can guide them towards career paths that align with their personal interests.
The assessment also evaluates an individual’s skills and aptitudes. It explores their strengths in different areas such as problem-solving, communication, creativity, leadership, and technical abilities. By understanding their skill set, individuals can identify careers that allow them to leverage their natural talents and develop their potential.
Personality factors have a significant role in the evaluation as well. The test investigates a person’s personality traits, including agreeableness, conscientiousness, emotional stability, openness to new experiences, and extroversion/introversion . People can find employment that suit their temperament and work methods, as well as jobs that offer a supportive atmosphere for personal development and professional satisfaction, by taking into account their personality profile.