Arts or Humanities includes a wide range of disciplines, including Political Science, Psychology, History, Literature, Sociology, Geography, Anthropology, Philosophy, Economics, etc. Humanities as a discipline is attracting attention and publicity in today’s times. Youth in India, as well as in the world, is increasingly choosing Humanities nowadays because of the increased job avenues it is offering.
top arts colleges in india
1. Hindu College, New Delhi– It is a constituent college in the University of Delhi- North Campus. It was established in 1899 and it is one of the oldest colleges for arts and sciences in India. Its motto is ‘Music of Truth’. It was ranked 3rd nationally by National Institute Ranking Framework (NRF) under the Ministry of Human Resource Development. It has been awarded ‘star college’ status for its Department of Biotechnology. Its Biotechnology department has been awarded ‘star college’. It offers both undergraduate and postgraduate courses.
2. St. Stephen’s College, New Delhi– It is a premier college of the University of Delhi. It was established in 1881. It is also one of the oldest and most prestigious colleges in the field of arts and sciences in India. It also offers degrees in undergraduate and postgraduate courses in liberal arts and sciences under the purview of the University of Delhi. It follows the mantra of ‘Service Above Self’ and this college provides immense opportunities to students for their development in the form of student
clubs and societies.
3. Miranda College, New Delhi– It is a constituent college in the University of Delhi for women. It offers courses in liberal arts and sciences and it was established in 1948. Their motto is learning through self-education. The college is also popular due to its cultural societies and the avenues it provides.
4. Lady Sri Ram College, New Delhi– Similar to Miranda College, Lady Sri Ram College is also a constituent college in the University of Delhi for women. The motto of this college is really interesting: ‘that alone is knowledge which leads to liberation.’ In 2020, Lady Sri Ram College was ranked 2nd by the National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF).
5. Madras Christian College, Chennai– This college was established in 1837 and is known for offering courses in liberal arts and sciences. It is Asia’s one of the oldest extant colleges. Though this college is affiliated with the University of Madras, it still functions as an autonomous institution. Initially established as a school for boys, this college by the mid-nineteenth century developed into a modern college for higher studies. Madras Christian College was ranked 3rd in India by Education World and India Today.
6. Hansraj College– It is a constituent college affiliated with the University of Delhi. Liberal Arts, Commerce, and Science are the departments in Hansraj College. The motto of this college is ‘From darkness, lead me to light. The college was established in 1948. In 2019, the college was ranked 4th by India Today. The college provided degrees in both undergraduate and postgraduate courses in various streams. The college is also well-known for offering job-oriented and add-on certificate courses such as Anchoring, Radio Jockeying, TV Journalism, Acting, etc.
7. Loyola College, Pune– The college was founded in 1961. The college offers primary, secondary, and pre-university education. The college is recognized by Maharashtra Government. The college offers education in the English medium but requires Marathi and Hindi as compulsory languages up to the 8th standard.
8. Gargi College, New Delhi– The college is affiliated with the University of Delhi and it is one of the top colleges to offer courses in Commerce, Science, Arts and Humanities, and Education for women. The status of ‘star college’ has been given to this college by the Department of Biotechnology, Government of India.
9. Ramjas College, New Delhi– It is a constituent college in the University of Delhi located in the North Campus. It is one of the best colleges in India and offers both undergraduate as well as postgraduate courses under the purview of the University of Delhi in the fields of arts, commerce, and science. It is one of the first three founding colleges, along with St. Stephens College and the Hindu College in the University of Delhi. The college is well-known for providing holistic education and going beyond academic learning and vocational training. The college also offers add-on courses and 6 courses in foreign languages.
10. Mithibai College, Mumbai– Mithibai College of Arts, Chauhan Institute of Science, and Amruthben Jivanlal College Commerce and Economics is a college affiliated with the University of Mumbai. The college was established in 1961 and is particularly well-known for offering courses in Humanities and especially in Psychology. It was granted autonomous status in 2018 by UGC.
To conclude, we can say that most of the colleges that offer good quality education in Humanities are situated in New Delhi. However, with the growth of humanities as one of the most sought-after courses, it is desirable that steps must be taken to ensure a more equitable distribution of colleges offering courses in humanities all over the country.